Tuesday 29 November 2011

The Fred Shed

 This week I proved the truth of the saying that we learn best by doing. I built a shed. I call it the Fred Shed. It is the first thing I have ever built that could stand up by itself.
Although I have quite a collection of power tools - skill saw, chop saw (given to me by the widow of a close friend), table saw, band saw (which I bought at a yard sale this past summer), drill press, and grinder, to name some of them - I had not the opportunity to use them until now. I recently retired from full time ministry and am learning some new skills.
My shed project (I still have to install the doors and trim) has been a blend of old and new technology. For starters I went to the Internet and googled "how to build a shed." I found complete plans that contained a materials list and step by step instructions. I read the instructions for Step One, went out and purchased the material, completed the step and then went back on the Internet and read Step Two and so on until I am now at Step Seven, the last step.
Along the way I have learned a lot of things about shed building. I have learned how to operate my vaious power tools. I have learned where to purchase building supplies. I have learned a whole new vocabulary - joist, lintel, stiles, and gusset. I have learned how to spell sheathing and jamb.
I have also learned some things not directly relating to shed building. I have learned that one has to be careful when around tools, patient when the weather turns bad, persistant when mistakes are made. I have also learned that I can do some things that I did not know I could do - that it is possible to teach an old dog new tricks.
And there has even been a spiritual lesson in all of this. I thought about the fact that Jesus was a carpenter and worked with wood. I thought about Paul's illustration of the Church being God's building and each individual Christian being a stone in that building. Or to use the shed anology, each Christian would be a nail or a board in that building.
I can hardly wait to get on to my next learning project.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete