Sunday 11 December 2011

Perfection

I have finished my "Fred Shed." It is perfect. Don't get me wrong - it's not a perfect shed, but it is a perfect "Fred Shed." In fact it is one of a kind...as each Christian is.
As a Salvationist I am a member of a holiness church. Holiness churches teach spiritual perfection. Jesus once said, "Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect"(Matthew 5:48 KJV). God is perfectly divine; we cannot be that. We can however be perfectly human. Even more precisely, I can be a perfect me, and you can be a perfect you. In fact I can be more perfect today than I was yesterday.
In the words of Nicodemeus, "How can these things be?"
Let me illustrate. Have you ever held a newborn baby and looked at his or her tiny body and said he or she is perfect? Even though the baby had no teeth, no hair, was wringkled and could not walk or feed itself, you declared him or her perfect. Simple - he or she was perfect for the stage he or she was in.
So it is with my "Fred Shed." It is perfect for the stage it is in. If I compare it to another shed or compare it to what it will be like next summer (when I add some improvements) I would likely not judge it to be perfect. But it is the perfect shed for me for today.
So it is with your life as a Christian. If you are daily following Christ, you are the perfect you for today. But tomorrow you will be even more perfect.
Celebrate you perfection and go on to even greater things.

No comments:

Post a Comment