Monday 17 December 2012

Lessons on the Road 1

Chat #1: Planning the trip

I’ve been driving (with a licence) since 1967 when I bought a brand new Suzuki motorcycle from some of the money I earned as a school teacher. Since then I have bought almost a dozen vehicles (if you count an old RV I once owned) and have driven from coast to coast in Canada several times and in a good number of the states in the U.S.A. Over the years I’ve learned a few things, some the hard way, and I hope to share some of this in the chats that will follow. I have learned that some of the “road lessons” are also “life lessons.”
Lesson number one: plan your trip. It’s a lot of fun getting out maps and brochures and talking with your family about the upcoming trip, especially if it’s to a place you’ve never been before. Plan how long you will drive each day. Plan where you will stop for the night. Plan what you will do along the way. With a good plan in place your trip will be exciting and fun.
Life lesson: a lot of people go through life with no aim or ambition. They let the forces around them drive them. As a result their life is unsatisfactory and they accomplish little. The Bible says that God has a plan for our life. This does not mean that everything that happens to us is God’s will, but it does mean that God will give us direction. Then it’s up to us to follow His plan. Wherever you are in your life you can stop, get out the roadmap and ask God, “Where to from here”?

Jeremiah 29:11(NIV)
For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.

No comments:

Post a Comment