Monday 10 September 2012

Lessons from a Sailboat 4

Lesson 4: Purchase a Boat

Leaning about sailing is exciting. Actually sailing is fun and adventurous. But at some point I had to actually purchase a boat of my own. There is only so much you can do in the classroom. And your friends will tolerate your sailing with them only so long. To be a genuine sailor I not only needed to know how to sail but I had to make a commitment and buy a boat. Fortunately when it comes to good used boats, sailboats are relatively inexpensive. My first sailboat was a 20ft Matilda design. I eventually sold that one and bought another 20 footer, a DS20 design, much roomier and a little faster. I could never know the real freedom of sailing without making that commitment.

The same is true in our Christian life. You can study the Bible, go to church, and meet in a small group with Christian friends. But you will never know the saving grace of God until you make a commitment of your life to Christ. Neither the Bible, nor church, nor your Christian friends can save you. Only Jesus can do that. To be a genuine Christian with a born-again experience you must make that personal commitment to Jesus.

Luke 9:23
Then he said to them all: “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross daily and follow me

No comments:

Post a Comment