Friday 3 August 2012

Lessons from a Shed 22

Lesson 22: Help Someone Else Build a Shed










We've come to the last Shed lesson: help someone else build a shed. It is true that building one shed does not make a person an expert in shed building. However, experience counts for something. At the very least I can point out some of the mistakes I made along the way so that my fellow shed-builder won't make the same ones. And at best I can pitch in and lend a hand. After all I now know how to use a table saw, a mitre saw, and a power drill, not to mention my hammer and handsaw. Helping others gives as much satisfaction as building your own shed.

Christianity has always been a religion of "others." It is about helping others, encouraging others, carrying the burdens of others. William and Catherine Booth, the founders of The Salvation Army, dedicated their whole adult lives to helping the poor and marginalized in society. Mother Theresa, a Roman Catholic nun, was world-renowned for her work with the downtrodden of India. Jesus, our Saviour, said, "For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many” (Mark 10:45). As followers of Christ, let us help others build a better life for themselves in His name.

John 13:15
I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment