Tuesday 13 November 2012

Lessons from a Car 2

Do you remember your first car? Who can forget? After my first year at university I accepted a teaching position. The pay was low in those days—two hundreds dollars a month. I could not afford to buy a car, so I bought a motorcycle instead. It wasn’t until three years later when my fiancĂ© and I pooled our financial resources that I (we) got our first car. It was a 1969 Vauxhall Viva, which we bought in 1970. It was a small, two-door car with a four-cylinder motor and an automatic transmission. We paid about $1,200 for it. It was what some of my friends would call a “gutless wonder.” We barely made it up the mountains of the Cabot Trail on our honeymoon. But it was great going down hill!

Our choice of car was limited by our budget and what was available. But choosing a car is not the most important choice of your life. There are many, more important choices. Choosing whom to marry, for example, is much more important. Choosing your career is much more important. Choosing whether or not to have children is much more important. There are dozens of choices more important than what car to purchase. But all life’s choices have consequences. It is therefore important to make those choices carefully and prayerfully. If we choose God first and then ask Him to help us with all our other choices, then tomorrow will not be so scary.

Psalm 25:12
Who, then, are those who fear the Lord?
    He will instruct them in the ways they should choose.

No comments:

Post a Comment