Friday 23 November 2012

Lessons from Cars 10

Lesson 10. Cooling System

Things can get pretty hot under the hood of your car. To keep things cool you car has a cooling system consisting of a radiator, a thermostat, coolant (usually some kind of antifreeze) and a pump. In the old days of my dad’s 1954 Chev pickup the coolant was plain water and the system did not work real well. I remember us stopping at roadside streams many times to put water in the radiator. And when the engine got hot, so did my dad. It was a challenge for both him and the truck to keep their cool.

It is always important for us as Christians to keep our cool. “Cool, calm, and collected” as the old saying goes is the way we should respond under pressure. But we are not all alike. Some of us have short fuses and tend to lose our cool. Like my dad’s old truck, some of us tend to get hot under the collar. When that happens we need to have in place a cooling system. Besides taking deep breaths, counting to ten, and going for a short walk, we should say a little prayer, ask God to give us His peace, and put into His hands whatever it is that is causing us to boil over.

John 14:27
 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you…. Do not let your hearts be troubled….

No comments:

Post a Comment