Friday 30 November 2012

Lessons from Cars 15

Lesson 15: Windows

On a number of occasions I have been driving and thought that my windows were clean. Then I found myself driving directly into the sun and, wow, all the dust and grime revealed itself. I could hardly see out the window. Driving in the shade or with the sun behind me was no problem. As soon as the light hit the window, all was revealed. The sad thing was that the dust was on the inside. Keeping the windows clean on the outside was not such a problem, my wipers, along with the rain and an occasional car wash took care of that. It was the dirt on the inside that was the problem. I had to get out the Windex.

In our Christian life we can often get away with keeping clean on the outside. An occasional visit to church, a few charitable donations, a little volunteer work and we appear to those around us to be upright citizens. But in the light of God’s word and in the glow of God’s Spirit moving in our hearts we see what we are on the inside. Jesus had a word for people who appeared clean on the outside but were dirty on the inside. He called them hypocrites. Strive to be pure through and through. Keep the windows to your soul clean.

Matthew 23:26
First clean the inside of the cup and dish, and then the outside also will be clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment