Wednesday 3 October 2012

Lessons from a Sailboat 19

Lesson 19:  Motor

Even on my sailboat I have motor. It is a 4-stroke, 8-hp Honda. The motor is attached to the transom by means of an adjustable wooden plate so that the motor can be lifted out of the water when the boat is under sail. A rubber gasoline line runs from the motor to a gas tank. The motor is a backup power source. In the last five months of sailing I have used less than twenty dollars worth of fuel. Because I have the motor serviced it is reliable, and I don’t have to worry when the wind fails or a storm blows me off course.

In life you depend on certain things for your physical and spiritual well-being. You rely on your employer to provide you with a reasonable income. You depend on your church to provide you with good biblical teaching and inspiring worship. You count on your friends for encouragement. But what happens if one or more of these fail? What is your backup plan? What are your alternatives? God has promised never to fail us, never to leave us. We should never think of God as Plan B. He is Plan A all the time. While other sources of inspiration or support may fail, God never will.

Hebrews 13:15
For He Himself has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.”

No comments:

Post a Comment