Monday 15 October 2012

Lessons while Fishing 5

Lesson 5: Different places to fish

Avid fishermen will fish anywhere they can legally get a line in the water. I have fished in the ponds of Newfoundland, far back behind the marshes and deep within the forest. I’ve fished in the salmon rivers and on the Great Lakes. I’ve fished in British Columbia, amid the towering Rocky Mountains. And I’ve fished in little streams that flowed through culverts underneath the Trans Canada Highway. Sometimes in the most unlikely of places I have pulled out a large trout to my own astonishment.

As Christians we should not limit our “fishing” (i.e. witnessing) to those places we are familiar with or where we feel we have a good chance to succeed. Sometimes we can influence someone for Christ in the most unusual places and in the most unlikely circumstances. Jesus said that His followers will witness for him “in the uttermost parts of the earth.” That includes the most unlikely places such as the factory, the golf course, the shopping centre, and right in our own backyard. You don’t have to wait for the perfect place to fish. Let your light shine just where you are.

Acts 1:8(NIV)
But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.”

No comments:

Post a Comment