Friday 12 October 2012

Lessons while Fishing 4

Lesson 4: Different ways to fish

When I was a boy my father tried to teach me to knit a net. Being an old Newfoundlander he grew up around fishing boats and knew a thing or two about fishing. I actually learned how to use fishing netting needle and knit several rows of mesh. However, since netting was not my favourite way to fish I learned more practical skills like how to cast a lure and bait with my casting rod to catch trout and how to use my fly rod for salmon. The point is that there are different ways to catch fish. No one particular way is better than another. The angler doesn’t judge the spin caster. And the seiner doesn’t despise the longliner.

Different Christians go about witnessing for Jesus in different ways. Some, like the great evangelists, speak to thousands in stadiums and arenas. Some Christians proclaim their faith by wearing T-shirts with Christian slogans or by putting Christian messages on bumper stickers. Some even tattoo their witness on their flesh. Other Christians quietly go about their lives and let their actions be their witness, responding to those who inquire as to why they are different. No matter how we witness, out goal is the same—to be “fishers of men (and women)” for Christ. Let us not judge one another’s methods, but rejoice over each soul won.

Mark 9:38-40
“Teacher,” said John, “we saw someone driving out demons in your name and we told him to stop, because he was not one of us.”
“Do not stop him,” Jesus said. “For no one who does a miracle in my name can in the next moment say anything bad about me, 40 for whoever is not against us is for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment