Tuesday 9 October 2012

Lessons while Fishing - 1


Lesson 1: The Fishing Metaphor


Today we begin a new series of readings, this one on the topic of fishing. Whether you fish or not, I hope you enjoy the spiritual lessons from this series.

I have been fishing since as long as I can remember. As a child of five or six I used to catch little fish in a bottle from a creek near our house. Later when our family moved to another town and built a house near a river I spent many happy hours fishing with a rod and line. As an adult I have fished in many lakes and streams, often accompanied by my wife who also enjoys fishing.

When I read in the Bible how Jesus called His first disciples I was thrilled to learn that those first followers were fishermen. There was Peter and his brother Andrew, and James and his brother John. They were fishermen, owned a boat, and earned their living catching fish from the Sea of Galilee. When Jesus called them He said, "Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men." To be a follower of Jesus is much like being a fisherman. You are being called to help catch people and bring them into the Kingdom of God.

Matthew 4:19 (KJV)
And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.

No comments:

Post a Comment