Monday 22 October 2012

Lessons while Fishing 10

Lesson 10: Different Kinds of Fishing Boats


If you’ve ever watched the movie Jaws you may recall the famous line uttered by Sheriff Brody to Captain Quint when they saw the size of the shark circling their small boat : “You’re gonna need a bigger boat.” I’ve never been in the situation where I needed a bigger boat because of the size of the fish I had on my line. However there have been times when I wished I had a bigger boat because of the size of the waves and the strength of the wind. Generally speaking, a bigger boat means three things: it’s safer, you can go farther, and you can take more people with you. I have fished from a canoe (not recommended) and fished from a 20-foot boat with a group of friends (much more fun).

In your Christian life you can try to “go it alone,” but it is safer and more fun to go with friends. And I believe that you will go farther in you faith when you have friends who will journey with you. If our life can be compared to a fishing boat (remember, we are “fishers of men”) then some of us have boats that are too small. We are timid and hug the shore. We go after the small fry when we could be hunting sharks. An old gospel song says: “Launch out into the deep and let the shore lines go.” That’s what we need to do if we want to catch the trophies for the Lord.

Mark 16:15
He said to them, “Go into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation.

No comments:

Post a Comment