Tuesday 23 October 2012

Lessons while Fishing 11

Lesson 11: Fishing Requires Patience

The first disciples of Jesus were fishermen. I think He chose them after observing them at work. Fishermen need to possess specific qualities of character to be successful. These qualities easily transfer to the work of evangelism. Take for example patience. I’m not a patient man by nature. I get frustrated easily, which tends to make me upset and even quit what I’m doing when things don’t go my way. However, when it comes to fishing I have been known to fish for hours on end without catching a single fish. I have felt a fish nibble on my line and watched it swim by and I’ve waited and waited, patiently enticing it until finally it grabbed on and I landed a prize catch.

Witnessing for Jesus often requires a similar kind of patience. We may be impatient by nature, but God can help us to take things easy when we are sharing our faith. People may come into our lives who are curious about Christianity. They are not eager about it. They are not going to grab on to our lifestyle, but they show a little interest. They may want to know what goes on at church, what the Bible is about, and who Jesus is. Witnessing to such people requires great patience. Take things at their pace, not yours. You may go years without success, but a true fisherman does not give up easily. Many a potential convert has been scared off by an over-eager Christian who did not have the patience to wait. In your witnessing, be patient with the unbeliever who has come into your sphere of influence.

2 Peter 3:9
The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. Instead he is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.

No comments:

Post a Comment