Monday 9 July 2012

Lessons from a Shed - 4




Lesson 4 - Select the Right Material


My shed was not going to be a Taj Mahal. Nevertheless I needed good, solid material that could stand the wind, rain, and snow of the Canadian climate. Besides the pressure treated 4" x 4" skids I selected pressure treated 2" x 4" lumber  for the joist to support the floor. For the wall studs and the roof rafters I used recycled 2" x 4" from a deck I dismantled when I sold my trailer last year. Then I bought plywood sheeting, shingles and a good supply of nails and screws to put it all together. The shed would be built with a combination of new and used material.

It is important when building our lives that we also choose the right building material. We create our lives out of such things as relationships, beliefs, knowledge, and experiences. The people we surround ourselves with make us stronger or weaker. The beliefs we embrace make us secure or insecure. The knowledge we acquire helps or blocks our progress. The experiences (including our careers and jobs) we engage in enable or hinder our potential.

As you build your life, choose your building material carefully, and remember too that some of the "old stuff" from previous generations is still useful today.

1 Corinthians 3:12-13
If anyone builds on this foundation using gold, silver, costly stones, wood, hay or straw, their work will be shown for what it is, because the Day will bring it to light.

No comments:

Post a Comment