Monday 16 July 2012

Lessons from a Shed - 9

Lesson 9 - Laying a Solid Floor

I had already laid the foundation of my shed. Two solid pieces of pressure treated 4 x 4's overlaid with sturdy 2x4's would hold up the shed nicely. The next job was to lay the floor. I went to the local building supply store and inspected the various 4x8 sheeting.
When the knowledgeable salesman asked what I wanted I said, "Two sheets of half-inch plywood." I was thinking of cost, and figured this would be cheaper.
"What is it for?" he asked, obviously sensing my inexperience.
"The floor of a shed I'm building," I replied.
"You'll need at least three-quarter inch plywood for a floor," he said, explaining that anything less than that would not hold any weight and would buckle.
I bowed to his superior knowledge of building material and purchased the 3/4 inch plywood for the floor.

Once you have Jesus Christ as the foundation of your life, you must choose carefully what to build on that foundation. If you try to skimp and take the cheap and easy route you may find that what you build is inadequate for the life situations that you will face later. Watching a 1/2 hour Christian TV show a week will not be adequate to build your faith. You need the 3/4 to 1.5 hour service at a real church on Sunday and then supplement this with a 1/2 private devotions every day.

1 Corinthians 3:10
By the grace God has given me, I laid a foundation as a wise builder, and someone else is building on it. But each one should build with care.

No comments:

Post a Comment