Tuesday 10 July 2012

Lessons from a Shed - 5



Lesson 5 - Count the Cost

Everything has a cost--including a backyard garden shed. You get get quite fancy and build an elaborate structure using cedar and fancy mouldings and high grade siding. Or you can build plain and simple using basic material. The choice is yours. But you will not likely build your shed for free. My shed is the basic type. In fact all the framing is used lumber from one of my previous projects, a deck on my trailer which I sold. So I saved money there. And when I bought shingles I picked the packages that were broke open and got them at 50 percent off (the shingles were fine, it was just the plastic wrapping that was broken). I got the paint from the Habitat for Humanity ReStore at a bargain price. So my shed cost about $150 to build.

In life, no matter what we do we must always consider the cost. Jesus said “Suppose one of you wants to build a tower. Will he not first sit down and estimate the cost to see if he has enough money to complete it? For if he lays the foundation and is not able to finish it, everyone who sees it will ridicule him, saying, ‘This fellow began to build and was not able to finish.’

There is a cost to following Jesus. You will have to make sacrifices. You will have to surrender your will to God's will. You will have to deny yourself and take up your cross daily if you are going to truly be a Christ-follower. But to choose the alternative is to lose your soul. Count the cost of the decision that will determine your eternal destiny.

Matthew 16:26
What good will it be for someone to gain the whole world, yet forfeit their soul?

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete