Wednesday 4 July 2012

Lessons from a shed - 1



Lesson 1 - Make Plans


My "Fred Shed" is almost a year old--and its still standing! Hopefully it will stand for a good while to come. As I reflect on this modest construction project, I realize that there are many lessons to learn from such an experience, not the least of which is learning how to use some of the power tools I collected over the years, but was not able to use until this past year.
Lesson one: You have to have a plan. Before you buy lumber, purchase nails, and accumulate shingles you have to have a plan. You can't just start building not knowing what you are going to build, or where. I have a very small back yard so I had to downscale my dream shed to one about 7ft by 6ft. For such a small shed I did not want to purchase expensive plans so I went on the internet and downloaded free plans. Even then I had to change all the measurement to fit what I could build in the space available. Following the plans I made, I now have a shed that is perfect for my backyard.
The same is true in life. You have to have a plan if you are going to accomplish anything worthwhile. You can make your own plans or you can ask God, the Masterbuilder, to direct you. The choice is yours, but since you've never built a life before, I recommend getting the best advise available.
Proverbs 3:6 (NKJV)
In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He shall direct your paths.

No comments:

Post a Comment